Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
VP of People Practices
The VP of People Practices, reporting directly to the SVP of People Resources, will assess and anticipate human resources priorities with the business by developing scalable and sustainable compliance, employee relations, employment practices and procedures, and other related HR programs and services to the business. The Sr. Director develops, coaches, and manages at all levels to build an engaged workforce, implement a positive culture and achieve company goals. As a member of the People Resources team, this position will partner with leaders to establish and implement strategic objectives, short and long-term goals, and HR strategies.
- Develops and implements organizational strategies for the human resources function to align with company business objectives and to continuously improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Human Resource function.
- Selects, develops and leads a team of HR Partners as an effective and responsive internal service group that meets the company’s high-growth plans.
- Responsible for ensuring that employee relations matters are handled smoothly, timely, and accurately, with an effective resolve to reduce litigation.
- Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develops/implements corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues.
- Compiles, interprets and disseminates information on regulatory matters on a pro-active basis.
- Ensures that company policies and procedures are consistently followed by our leaders by developing, implementing and training the business on HR related matters to include employee onboarding, document maintenance and compliance, E-verify adherence, HR related policies and procedures, discipline and audits.
- Develops and maintains Human Resources audits aimed to verify compliance with existing policies and internal policies to ensure consistency. Makes appropriate recommendations, as necessary.
- Provides guidance to the team to serve as an internal coach/consultant to company management team, supervisors and employees on employee matters that affect performance and business relationships.
- Assists in implementing programs, policies and practices designed to enhance employee engagement, reduce turnover, and ensure legal compliance.
- Responsible for analyzing on HR metrics on a monthly basis to identify trends and issues to develop pro-active measures to continually improve the business.
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws regarding human resources.
- Consults with Shake Shack’s Legal Department and other outside counsel on compliance with employment laws, as necessary.
- Responsible for corporate HR budget area. Provides input for annual budgets and business plans.
Skills & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resource Management, or related field along with an SPHR or equivalent professional HR certification is required.
- MBA or MS in Human Resources is a plus.
- Highly motivated, strategic thinker with a high EQ that has an ability to contribute at both a strategic and operational level.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment balancing multiple projects and embracing change.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills; uses and interprets data to validate plans and approaches.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgement and discretion in establishing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Strong communication, organizational, and conflict-resolution skills.
- Highly developed project management skills is a plus.
- 10+ years of professional business experience, with at least 7 years of leadership experience in Human Resources.
- Proven track record as an effective manager in a high-performance organization, success as a builder of collaborative, high performance teams whose management style is characterized as results orientation.
- Broadly experienced with direct management of an HR Team and comfortable using a Center of Excellence approach to the delivery of HR services.
- Solid employee relations, change management, and team development experience are required.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.