Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with an annual company retreat, Team Appreciation Day, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
We are seeking a highly motivated Tax Manager to support the global tax provision, U.S. and non-U.S. tax compliance and taxing authority examinations. The Tax Manager reports to the Tax Director and will be responsible for all areas of income taxation at Shake Shack. The Tax Manager will be responsible for the preparation of the quarterly and year-end tax provision as well as manage and coordinate the tax return preparation and the administration of our tax receivable agreement with our outside tax advisors. The Tax Manager is an agile thinker and effective communicator with the ability to manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment to drive results independently and work collaboratively with the greater cross-functional team. The role requires someone dedicated to the continuous improvement of existing processes, technology solutions and documentation. The ideal candidate will be a team player with a highly analytical mindset, strong work ethic, extreme attention to detail with a desire to provide quality service to internal and external stakeholders and help build a best in class tax function.
1. Income Tax Compliance
- Assist in the preparation and review of U.S. federal, state and local income tax returns for: (i) corporate holding company and (ii) non-wholly-owned operating partnership.
- Manage tax-related communications to partners (Schedule K-1 delivery, annual tax distributions, TRA-related communications, etc.).
- Assist with non-U.S. tax filings.
- Ensure accurate and timely filing/remittance of all tax returns, extensions and estimate payments.
- Forecast taxable income for purposes of making federal and state estimates to the taxing authorities and making tax distributions to partners.
- Manage tax examinations initiated by various jurisdictions.
- Investigate and resolve tax notices received.
2. Quarterly and Year-end Close
- Assist with quarterly and year-end tax provision process, including tax-related financial statement disclosures.
- Assist with the review of tax accounting for sales of partnership interests, related basis computations, TRA liabilities and deferred tax assets.
- Prepare quarterly valuation allowance analysis, working closing with the FP&A team.
- Computation of non-GAAP effective tax rate.
- Responsible for monthly tax journal entries and reconciliation of all tax accounts.
- Develop and strengthen tax-related internal controls under SOX. Ensure controls are operating effectively.
3. Accounting and Administration of Tax Receivable Agreement (“TRA”)
- Assist with the administration and accounting of the Company’s Tax Receivable Agreement.
- Prepare and manage TRA-related communications to partners.
- Assist with evaluation of tax implications and implications under the TRA of amendments to the partnership agreement and other equity transactions.
- Assist with preparation of cash forecasts of future TRA payments based on expected taxable income and utilization of amortization deductions.
- Remain current on new tax legislation and tax accounting rules. Identify, assess and document the tax implications of any such changes.
- Prepare and file non-income-based tax returns and U.S. residency certifications.
- Assist with the annual budget and ongoing forecasting processes by computing budgeted and forecasted tax rates and other tax-related accounts and expenses.
- Support other departments with entity related matters (e.g., business licenses, clearance letters, etc.).
- Develop and/or strengthen existing policies and procedures. Drive process improvement.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
Skills & Knowledge
- BS/BA in Accounting required.
- Master’s degree in Tax a plus.
- CPA required.
- Knowledge of both corporate and partnership taxation.
- Deep understanding of ASC 740 and tax accounting.
- Minimum 7+ years of relevant tax experience (including a combination of public accounting and corporate tax experience).
- Minimum 5 years of experience at a Big 4 public accounting firm.
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries a plus.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."