Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Staff Accountant- Indirect Tax
In this newly-created role, the staff accountant of indirect tax will report directly to the senior accountant and manager of indirect taxes. The staff accountant will be responsible for assisting in all U.S. indirect tax compliance, including but not limited to sales and use tax, personal property tax, beer, and liquor taxes. The staff accountant will support the team in making sure that Shake Shack complies with various state requirements, including compliance and audit support, and assists with tax research to provide technical support on all indirect tax matters.
The staff accountant should be a self-motivated, adaptive, eager learner who can manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be a team player with a strong work ethic and a desire for continuous process improvement.
Indirect Tax Compliance:
- Preparation and filing of all indirect tax returns, including sales and use tax, personal property tax, beer and liquor taxes
- Reconciling various sales tax reports with monthly sales data and general ledger
- Perform journal entries related to indirect taxes
- Investigate and settle state and local tax notices
Indirect Tax Registration Set-Up / Tax Rate and Matrix Maintenance:
- Ensure appropriate registrations and initial internal set-up is performed (i.e., applying for EINS, obtaining sales tax certificates, the configuration of the POS system, etc.)
- Monitor changes in sales tax rates to ensure updated rates are communicated and implemented appropriately and validated
- Assist in research, documenting, and maintaining tax matrix of all tax filings regulations
- Assist with gathering support for documenting and maintaining Sarbanes Oxley 404 compliance per internal controls
- Assist in coordinating with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes, ensuring complete, timely, and accurate responses to information requests.
- Assist team with state and local tax audits by gathering, organizing, and tracking information requested by auditors.
- Assist with software implementations as needed
- Provide general administrative support to the team, including responding to tax-related questions from Home office teams and external departments
Skills & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field
- Knowledge of general indirect state tax laws and concepts
- Relevant experience in state and local indirect tax in corporate tax department or public accounting
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries
- Business sales tax permit registration and audit defense experience is a plus
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries preferred
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.