Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a company retreat, Team Appreciation Day, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Staff Accountant, Fixed Assets
The Staff Accountant, Fixed Assets reports to the Accounting Manager and is responsible for the daily tasks pertaining to the management and accounting of the Company’s fixed assets and R&M expenses. The Staff Accountant, Fixed Assets has month-end, quarter-end, and year-end closing responsibilities, including, but not limited to, preparing and analyzing a variety of monthly account reconciliations, preparing appropriate adjusting journal entries, and performing certain analytical reviews over both P&L and balance sheet accounts. This individual works closely with the Accounting team, and participates in ad-hoc projects and tasks, as needed.
1. Fixed Assets:
- Daily management of all fixed asset transactions, including the recording of asset acquisitions, disposals, and transfers.
- Assist the Accounting Manager in maintaining the fixed assets depreciation software.
- Calculate depreciation for all fixed assets using fixed assets software.
- Review coding of capital expenditures, purchases, and repairs and maintenance invoices for proper classification.
- Monitor Construction in Progress (CIP) to ensure that closed CIP accounts are capitalized into the correct asset accounts.
- Coordinate with the Development Team and external vendors with the inventorying of warehoused assets to be distributed to new Shacks and tagging of new fixed assets.
- Collaborate with the Tax team on personal property tax returns and quarterly tax depreciation.
- Strengthen and maintain relationships with both internal and external parties.
- Assist with any questions from the General Managers, Facilities Team, and other internal parties as it relates to fixed asset or R&M-related accounts.
2. Month-end Close:
- Timely and accurate month-end closing of the fixed assets ledger and related depreciation accounting.
- Coordinate general ledger review and resolve questions/comments from Operations Teams.
- Perform variance analysis of P&L’s, specifically as it relates to R&M expenses.
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations and analyze fluctuations, as needed.
3. SOX Compliance:
- Maintain ownership of SOX key controls related to owned accounts and processes.
- Facilitate both internal and external audits ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests. Coordinate with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes.
- Improve internal control environment to more efficiently monitor transaction risk and financial exposure.
- Ensure information flow between general accounting team, external auditors and other internal and external partners.
4. Other Duties and Ad Hoc Projects:
- Assist in the annual external financial statement audit.
- Remain current on accounting and other regulatory changes impacting fixed assets.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Provide support to cross functional teams.
- Prepare ad hoc reports and analysis as requested.
Skills & Knowledge
- CPA preferred
- Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance from accredited university. Master’s degree a plus.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and SOX required.
- 1-3 years of working experience in accounting roles.
- Experience at Big 4 public accounting firm preferred.
- Public company experience preferred.
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries a plus.
Our Benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Career Development
- Discounted Fitness Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy that we "Stand for Something Good."