Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for assisting in the general accounting functions as it relates to Shack-level operations, including but not limited to the preparation of journal entries related to accruals, operating expenses and accounts receivables. This individual will also provide strategic support and analysis as needed.
The Staff Accountant is a self-motivated, adaptive, eager learner who can manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will have an analytical mindset, strong work ethic, heightened attention to detail and a desire for continuous process improvement.
1. Monthly Close
- Prepare period-end entries, account reconciliations, and account analyses as it relates to owned areas (including but not limited to accruals, operating expenses and accounts receivables) with appropriate SOX documentation and support when required.
- Experience in building schedules, processes, reconciliations, and flux analysis.
- Oversee the cost of sales of Inventory at the shacks.
- Review and analyze corporate general & administrative expenses by business channel
- Work effectively cross-functionally in order to prepare closing entries and to anticipate changes to processes.
- Act as a key member of cross-departmental teams to improve the flow of data and reporting.
2. SOX Compliance
- Support compliance of SOX key controls related to owned accounts and processes.
- Coordinate with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests.
- Continuously evaluate SOX controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary control changes.
3. Process Improvement
- Review existing processes, structures, and systems to assist in the identification of improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Help drive the reduction of the close timeline by assessing and streamlining close-related activities.
- Assist in assessing the impact from and implement the required changes to systems, process, policies and procedures due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes in business strategy, cross-departmental initiatives and other operational changes.
- Support the implementation of on-going process improvement initiatives.
4. Annual Audit and Quarterly Reviews
- Support information flow between the accounting team, external auditors and other internal and external partners.
- Prepare balance sheet and income statement fluctuation analyses.
- Provide requested support to Tax and Financial Reporting and adhere to external reporting timelines.
- Collaborate with other Home Office teams where required and appropriate.
- Strengthen and maintain relationships with both internal and external parties.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
Skills & Knowledge
- Skilled with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Access)
- High HQ, Confident, Caring, Team-oriented, Guest-focused, Supportive, Empathetic, Trustworthy
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- 2-4 years of accounting experience in private accounting.
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries preferred.
- Experience with Workday preferred
- CPA preferred
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.