Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Senior Tax Accountant
In this newly created role, the senior accountant of direct tax will report directly to the Director of Tax. The senior accountant will provide support in all areas of income taxes here at Shake Shack, including the global income tax provision, U.S. and non-U.S. tax compliance, taxing authority examinations, research projects, etc. The senior accountant will review work prepared by outside tax advisors and assist in ensuring that all filing requirements are done in a timely manner.
Income Tax Compliance:
- Assisting with the preparation and review of U.S. federal, state and local tax filings for: i) corporate holding company, ii) operation partnership, and iii) disregarded entities
- Assist with tax-related communications to partners, such as Schedule K-1 delivery, annual tax distribution packages, and TRA-related communications
- Support the forecast of taxable income for purposes of making federal and state estimates to the taxing authorities and any possible tax distribution to partners
- Assist in research, documenting, and maintaining tax matrix of all tax filings
- Provide support on tax examinations initiated by various jurisdictions
- Investigate and resolve tax notices received
Quarterly and Year-end Close:
- Assist with quarterly and year-end tax provision process, including calculating book/tax differences, analyzing effective tax rate, etc.
- Assist with the review of tax accounting for sales of partnership interests, related basis computations, TRA liabilities, and deferred tax assets
- Assist with computation of non-GAAP effective tax rate
- Manage journal entries and account reconciliation for tax related accounts
- Help gather documentations supporting SOX compliance per internal controls
- Assist with the administration and accounting of the Company’s Tax Receivable Agreement
- Manage non-income-based tax compliance
- Manage U.S. residency certifications process
- Support other departments with entity related matters, such as business licenses, clearance letters, etc.
- Assist with the annual budget and ongoing forecasting processes by tracking budget along with other tax-related accounts and expenses
- Prepare reports/analysis and participate in other projects as needed
Skills & Experience
- 4-6 years of related work experience
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field
- Knowledge of both corporate and partnership taxation
- Strong understanding of ASC 740 and tax accounting
- Master’s degree in Tax is a plus
- CPA is a plus
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries a plus
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.