Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a company retreat, Team Appreciation Day, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Senior Manager, Sales Audit
In this newly-created role, the Senior Manager, Sales Audit will be responsible for leading and managing multiple functions and operational processes, as well as providing strategic support and analysis. This individual will manage all accounting and operational activities related to Shake Shack’s various revenue channels, cash and gift card programs.
The Senior Manager, Sales Audit will also play a critical role in Shake Shack’s continuously evolving revenue streams and multi-phased Finance Transformation initiative. The successful candidate will be a key contributor in the transformation and management of these change initiatives ensuring successful implementation. Specifically, the transformations will include system implementations, business process re-design and various other process improvement projects.
1. Sales Audit
- Oversee the preparation of weekly sales journal entries to record POS sales data to the General Ledger.
- Manage the weekly sales/cash audit process, including: (1) the reconciliation of POS sales data to credit card settlements, bank deposits and other electronic tenders; and (2) investigation and resolution of identified variances and other issues.
- Manage the reconciliation process for electronic tenders, coupons, chargebacks, gift cards, etc.
- Liaise with Marketing on store events and recognition of the related revenue.
- Facilitate period-end closings by ensuring the accurate and timely completion by the team of closing-related responsibilities, including preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations and variance analyses for owned accounts.
- Collaborate with IT and Marketing on implementation of POS upgrades, mobile app/POS integrations and other software roll-outs, establishing and executing POS QA procedures and testing.
- Collaborate with IT, Operations and Training Team on the development of all POS procedures and training for both Shack team members and Home Office.
- Assess the impact from and implement the required changes to systems, process, policies and procedures due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes in business strategy, cross-departmental initiatives and other operational changes. Drive change management by working with IT and other key stakeholders related to any associated changes.
2. Bank and Card Program Administration
- Oversee reconciliation process for all bank accounts, including store deposits and credit card accounts.
- Oversee administration of armored car services and store vault services.
- Monitor and analyze cash over/short.
- Manage the credit card and gift card chargeback and dispute resolution process. Develop, implement and administer effective controls to reduce losses incurred through credit card chargebacks.
- Oversee the accounting and administration of gift card program, including reconciliation of gift card liability accounts and preparation of journal entries.
- Oversee unclaimed property process for gift cards.
- Act as a key member of cross-departmental teams that explore new tender types, customer promotional and rewards programs.
- Manage all transactional and operational activities related to Shake Shack’s domestic and international licensed business.
- Oversee the aggregation, recognition and reconciliation of licensed sales data received from partners.
- Oversee the accounting for royalty revenue, including weekly accruals and monthly reconciliation to actual billings.
- Oversee the invoicing, accounts receivable and collections processes related to all licensing revenue streams.
- Oversee the accounting evaluation of new licensing agreements and amendments, as well as the on-boarding and integration of new partners.
- Strengthen and maintain relationships with licensed partners.
4. Process Improvement
- Align the team organizational structure and processes as well as employee skills and responsibilities to stakeholder needs.
- Review existing processes, structures, and systems to identify improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities. Evaluate, develop, implement and monitor accounting and operational policies and procedures with an emphasis on improving accuracy and timeliness, reducing risk and strengthening compliance.
- Establish organizational, functional and individual key performance indicators (KPIs) with a focus on providing high quality service, as well as transparency to internal customers. Produce and analyze periodic KPIs to monitor, measure and drive performance improvement.
- Benchmark the organization against other companies to identify and implement process improvements.
- Responsible for successful implementation of on-going process improvement initiatives, including shaping best practices, tool enhancements and driving an effective control environment.
- Identify and remove sources of resistance by acting as a liaison across organizational boundaries.
5. SOX Compliance
- Ownership of all SOX key controls related to Revenue, Sales Audit, Cash and Card Programs.
- Facilitate both internal and external audits ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests. Coordinate with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes. Continuously evaluate SOX controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary control changes.
- Improve internal control environment to more efficiently monitor transaction risk and financial exposure.
- Maintain and promote policies and procedures related to SOX controls, corporate policies and procedures and related regulatory and GAAP requirements.
- Remain current on accounting and other regulatory changes impacting revenue, sales audit, cash and card programs.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Assist with the annual budget and ongoing forecasting processes as needed.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong financial, IT and analytical skills coupled with an operational focus.
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- MBA or Master’s degree preferred.
- CPA a plus.
- Minimum 10+ years of progressive management experience in revenue accounting and sales audit.
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries required.
- Experience at Big 4 public accounting firm a plus.
- Experience with major system implementations and business process re-design initiatives.
- Experience building and leading highly effective teams. Demonstrated leadership capabilities with a focus on coaching individuals/teams to reach their potential.
Other benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Career Development
- Discounted Fitness Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy that we "Stand for Something Good."