Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
The Payroll Specialist processes pay (multi state) for the staff at multiple Shake Shack locations throughout the U.S. This individual works closely with the Senior Manager of Payroll, Payroll Lead/Supervisor, HR and Operations teams on various payroll related matters. The position actively embodies skills that will elevate the core values and mission of Shake Shack.
- Timely and accurate processing of weekly payroll via Workday. Ensuring retroactive adjustments, tax changes, garnishments, and payroll deductions are entered, audited, and reviewed accordingly. Processes payments (direct deposits, check and Pay Cards) for terminations and other off cycle requests. Performs weekly and quarterly tax reconciliation for reporting to third party vendor for accuracy and remittance. Ensures that SOX payroll controls are in place and operating accordingly.
- Reviews and analyzes payroll forms in relation to W4, address changes, and local Tax profile set up self-service adjustments and reports for accuracy and adjusts as necessary. Responds to verification of employment, and other wage data inquires. Performs weekly 401k funding to third party vendor and works with people operations for any amendments. Reports and posts Relocation fringe benefits with data provided from third party vendor.
- Investigates inquiries from employees with a root cause analysis mind set and with strong sense of urgency. Facilitates communication with Shack Managers regarding weekly payroll reviews, including Precheck and Hours Not Worked reporting. Provides support and training as needed. Follows up on exceptions timely and communicates issues to management in a timely manner. Cultivates and maintains an effective working relationship with cross functional departments.
- Assists with implementation of company wide payroll initiatives. Assists with preparing audit request. Provides support to cross-functional teams. Prepares ad-hoc reports and analysis as needed.
Skills & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree in Business or Accounting preferred
- FPC or CPP certification preferred
- Strong excel skills (V-look Up’s, Pivot Tables)
- 2+ years of Multi state payroll experience
- Payroll Systems experience (Workday or other large systems)
- Prior multi state payroll experience at a large public company preferred
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.