MANAGER, GENERAL ACCOUNTING
Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a company retreat, Team Appreciation Day, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
In this newly-created role, the Manager, General Accounting will be responsible for managing the general accounting functions as it relates to Shake Shack’s Home Office and Shack-level operations, including but not limited to the management of accruals, prepaids, inventory, COGS, pre-opening expenses, and G&A. This individual will also provide strategic support and analysis as needed.
The Manager, General Accounting will also play a role in Shake Shack’s multi-phased Finance Transformation initiative. The successful candidate will be a contributor to the transformation initiative, helping to ensure successful implementation. Specifically, the transformation will include system implementations, business process re-design and various other process improvement projects.
The Manager, General Accounting is a self-motivated, adaptive, quick learner who can manage and prioritize an evolving workload in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate will have a highly analytical mindset, strong work ethic, extreme attention to detail and a desire for continuous process improvement. The Manager, General Accounting will be able to work well across functions and form relationships throughout the Company to facilitate involvement in Company-wide processes and initiatives.
- General Accounting
- Prepare and/or review period-end entries, account reconciliations, and account analyses as it relates to owned areas (including but not limited to accruals, prepaids, inventory, COGS, pre-opening expenses, and G&A), with appropriate SOX documentation and support when required.
- Facilitate period-end closings by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of the general accounting team’s close-related responsibilities.
- Ensure appropriate submissions and coding of expense reports, in conjunction with the AP team.
- Maintain the invoicing, accounts receivable and collections processes related to all employee receivables.
- Liaise with Operations to develop and implement processes to drive admin out of the Shacks.
- Act as a key member of cross-departmental teams to improve the flow of data and reporting.
- Assist in assessing the impact from and implement the required changes to systems, process, policies and procedures due to new accounting standards, regulatory changes, changes in business strategy, cross-departmental initiatives and other operational changes. Assist with driving change management by working with IT and other key stakeholders related to any associated changes.
- Prepare the accounting evaluation, conclusions, and maintain the ongoing accounting treatment of new agreements as it relates to owned areas.
- Collaborate with other Home Office teams where required and appropriate.
- Strengthen and maintain relationships with both internal and external parties.
- Process Improvement
- Review existing processes, structures, and systems to identify improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Help drive the reduction of the close timeline by assessing and streamlining close-related activities.
- Evaluate, develop, implement and monitor accounting and operational policies and procedures for owned areas, with an emphasis on improving accuracy and timeliness, reducing risk and strengthening compliance.
- Manage and/or support the implementation of on-going process improvement initiatives.
- SOX Compliance
- Maintain ownership of SOX key controls related to owned accounts and processes.
- Facilitate both internal and external audits ensuring complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests. Coordinate with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes.
- Continuously evaluate SOX controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary control changes.
- Annual Audit and Quarterly Reviews
- Ensure information flow between general accounting team, external auditors and other internal and external partners.
- Prepare balance sheet and income statement fluctuation analyses.
- Evaluate workflow efficiency and work to minimize fees.
- Provide requested support to Tax and Financial Reporting and adhere to external reporting timelines.
- Coaching and Team Development
- Manage a team of one Senior Accountant and help grow them professionally.
- Perform quarterly check-ins and annual performance reviews for direct report.
- Establish goals for direct reports that are aligned with overall department and company objectives.
- Remain current on accounting and other regulatory changes impacting general accounting and owned areas.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
Relevant Experience, Skills, Knowledge & Ability:
- Minimum 5+ years of working experience in accounting roles.
- Minimum 3 years of experience at “Big 4” public accounting firm required.
- Mix of public accounting/industry experience preferred.
- Experience in the restaurant and/or retail industries preferred.
- Strong understanding of GAAP and SOX required.
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA required.
- MBA or Master’s degree preferred.
Other benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Career Development
- Discounted Fitness Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy that we "Stand for Something Good."