Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a Team Appreciation Day, unlimited meal discounts, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
Shake Shack is looking for an accomplished attorney to strengthen its Legal function and support the company in its growth plans, while ensuring ongoing risk management and compliance. The Contracts Counsel will substantively lead the contracts management process, from contract selection to contract drafting and negotiating to contract execution.
This role will require a strong background in contract drafting and negotiating, in particular with respect to Software-as-a-Service agreements and technology agreements; working knowledge of privacy and data security laws and regulations; excellent management and organizational skills; and superlative communication and interpersonal skills.
The Contracts Counsel will support the Legal department in fulfilling its overall responsibilities to identify, assess and reduce the company’s legal, financial and business exposure, to ensure the company’s value and interest are protected and preserved, and to ensure the company’s compliance with applicable laws.
Cover letter required with application.
- Draft, review, negotiate and advise on enterprise-wide contracts, including SaaS, technology, supply, and services agreements. Ability to identify and address data security, privacy and intellectual property issues in a commercial context.
- Serve as the business owner within the Legal department of its contract management infrastructure (including intaking, assigning, managing, reviewing and executing agreements).
- Manage the Legal department’s contracts database.
- Ensure that all contracts adhere to the Legal department’s contracts policies and processes and advise stakeholders on the various policies.
- Evaluate legal, financial and business risks associated with contracts in compliance with company policies, in order to protect company interests.
- Develop and refine the Legal department’s contracts policies and procedures.
- Develop and refine the Legal department’s standard form and template agreements as well as best practices and provisions.
- Advise stakeholders on legal issues and risk assessments associated with the contracts.
- Support the company’s data privacy and compliance efforts.
- Lead the process of procuring a best in class contracts management software solution.
Skills & Knowledge
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) Degree
- Must be Bar Certified in the State of New York
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Practical business acumen, driving pragmatic business-oriented solutions
- A highly approachable, collegial and collaborative approach
- Accountable and proactive self-starter, comfortable working independently
- Superb organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Completed 5 full years as an attorney at either a top law firm or in-house, with corporate transactional experience
- Retail or Hospitality experience preferred
- Strong experience with CCPA, GDPR and other privacy matters
- PCI Security Counsel Standards and related
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Transit Discount Program
- 401K Plan
- Paid Time Off Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Dining Program
- Referral Bonus
- Online Training Program
- Career Development
- Corporate Fitness Discount Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy they we "Stand for Something Good."
Shake Shack is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental and physical), sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital, military and veteran status.
Our company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws.