Work it! Here at Shake Shack, we take care of each other first and foremost so that we can make raves for our guests, community, suppliers, and investors. After all, teamwork makes the dream work. We work our buns off, but we play hard too, with a company retreat, Team Appreciation Day, volunteer opportunities, and so much more. If you’re looking for a deeply fulfilling, financially rewarding, and really fun career, you’re in the right place.
In this newly-created role, the Assistant Controller will lead and manage all aspects of the period-end financial close, including multiple accounting functions and operational processes, as well as provide strategic support and analysis. This individual will provide management oversight of the day-to-day activities related to lease accounting and administration, fixed assets/capital accounting, general accounting and technical accounting. The Assistant Controller will build a high-performing team through hands-on coaching and development.
1. Period-end Close
- Lead and manage the entire period-end financial close process (fiscal month, quarter and year-end), liaising with Tax, Financial Reporting and FP&A teams as needed.
- Oversee the General Accounting, Lease Accounting, Fixed Assets/Capital Accounting and Technical Accounting teams.
- Ensure the timely and accurate accounting treatment of all transactions under US GAAP, including day-to-day transactions as well as complex, non-recurring transactions.
- Review various period-end account reconciliations and journal entries.
- Prepare and/or review various analyses to identify unusual activity and ensure transactions are properly accounted for, including account variance analyses, balance sheet and income statement fluctuation analyses, etc.
- Facilitate quarterly and annual SEC filings by ensuring the Financial Reporting and Tax teams receive timely and accurate information.
- Facilitate quarterly review and annual audit process. Ensure timely and accurate information flow between the Accounting team, external auditors and Internal Audit.
2. SOX Compliance
- Ultimate ownership of all SOX key controls related to the Accounting team.
- Facilitate both internal and external audits of internal controls by ensuring the team provides complete, timely and accurate responses to information requests. Coordinate with internal or external auditors related to owned accounts and processes.
- Continuously evaluate SOX controls in light of changing systems/processes and work with Internal Audit to identify and implement necessary control changes.
- Improve internal control environment to more efficiently monitor transaction risk and financial exposure.
- Maintain and promote policies and procedures related to SOX controls, corporate policies and procedures and related regulatory and GAAP requirements.
3. Process Improvement
- Assist with alignment of the Accounting team organizational structure and processes as well as employee skills and responsibilities to stakeholder needs.
- Review existing processes, structures, and systems to identify improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Responsible for successful implementation of on-going process improvement initiatives, including shaping best practices, tool enhancements and driving an effective control environment.
- Identify and remove sources of resistance by acting as a liaison across organizational boundaries.
- Identify opportunities across other functional areas to support process efficiency and automation opportunities that could be integrated into Accounting organization.
4. Team Development
- Build a high-performing team by promoting a culture of learning and development, and providing transparent expectations around roles, responsibilities and performance.
- Provide continuous hands-on coaching and mentorship to the team.
- Manage team workload, structure and staffing to ensure balance and alignment of department demands and individual skillsets and career aspirations.
- Identify and communicate key responsibilities, priorities and practices to foster teamwork, a positive work environment and confidence in leadership to achieve business results.
5. Other Duties and Ad Hoc Projects
- Remain current on regulatory changes impacting the Accounting team.
- Remain current on Restaurant and Retail industry-specific technologies and emerging trends.
- Assist with the annual budget and ongoing forecasting processes as needed.
- Assist with strategic planning and implementation of department/company-wide initiatives.
- Build and maintain relationships with business leaders. Enhance cross-functional collaboration by fostering trust, commitment, accountability and results.
- Represent the Accounting team in cross-departmental projects and initiatives, ensuring changes to existing process/systems are covered by appropriate policies, align with process strategy and have sound internal controls in place.
- Prepare reports/analyses and participate in other projects as needed.
Skills & Knowledge
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA required.
- MBA or Master’s degree preferred
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and SOX required.
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Innovative team player. Self-motivated and able to work on cross-functional teams.
- Ability to provide critical feedback and have difficult conversations in a fair, respectful and honest manner.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to organize, prioritize, delegate and multi-task responsibilities both individually and for the team.
- Minimum 15+ years of progressive management experience in accounting roles (including minimum 5 years in “Big 4” public accounting firm).
- Mix of public accounting and industry experience at a publicly-traded company required.
- Proven experience leading large, multi-level teams required.
- Restaurant/Retail industry experience preferred.
Other benefits include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Career Development
- Discounted Fitness Programs
- Choice of Global Cash Card or Direct Deposit
Beginning as a hot dog cart in New York City’s Madison Square Park, Shake Shack was created by Danny Meyer, Founder and CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group and best-selling author of Setting the Table. Shack Fans lined up daily, making the cart a resounding success, and donating all proceeds back to the park beautification efforts. A permanent stand was eventually built…and the rest is Shack history! With our roots in fine dining and giving back to the community, we are committed to high quality food served with a high level of hospitality. Our team members enjoy a positive work environment that is deeply committed to the philosophy that we "Stand for Something Good."